Last week, I made cinnamon rolls for the first time, following a recipe from my beloved blog My New Roots. These healthy treats are made with spelt flour, unsweetened applesauce, and dates for the filling. They don’t have quite the doughy chew that conventional cinnamon rolls have, but these are still quite delectable!
For the dough:
2 cups Whole Spelt
4 t Baking Powder
2 T Coconut sugar (or any other granulated sugar)
1 t Sea Salt
3/4 c +1 T unsweetened Apple Sauce
3 T Coconut Oil
For the filling:
1 1/2 c chopped Dates
3/4 c Water
2 tsp ground Cinnamon
pinch ground Cardamom
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
For the Icing:
1 can Coconut Milk (refrigerated for 4 hours at least, cream only)
1/8 cup Creamed Honey
1/2 t Vanilla
1. Pit and chop dates. Place in a saucepan with water, starting with a 1/2 c and increasing to 3/4 c if necessary. Over low heat, stir often to create a paste. Add cinnamon, cardamom, and salt while stirring. Remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add coconut oil and work it in with your fingers. Add applesauce and work into a ball of dough.
3. Move dough to a floured surfaced and roll into a large rectangle, about 6 by 18 inches.
4. Top the dough with filling. Then, roll the dough starting from one of the shorter sides, until you have a large roll. Slice into 6 even rolls.
5. Heat oven to 375 F. Place rolls in a baking dish and bake for about 25- 30 minutes. Let cool.
6. For the icing, spoon the cream from the refrigerated coconut milk out into a bowl, and whisk together remaining ingredients.